Welcome!!one!

Buongiorno, bonjour and “g’day”! (don't you like how they're all the same thing? ~ who knew Australian vernacular was so cosmopolitan???).

Also, "a good day to you, sir/maam" for our American pals, "Ni Hao" to China, and "Здравствуй" to our Russian comrades, "etcetera etcetera and so forth"... (for Yul Brynner).

It’s your old pal Kit (Christof) Fennessy here. I've been writing this blog with your help for ten years, and there's over a hundred and fifty recipes, restaurant reviews of Australia and around the world, and general gourmet articles in these pages for you to fritter away your idle hours on.

Want to know more about me? Friend me on facebook, follow me on twitter, or even look up my New Yorker cartoons on instagram! NB; different platforms not all food related)


A big thank you, as always, to my sponsors at Blue Vapours (use them for all your design and advertising needs - we are waiting for your call!).

Now, what's on the bill of fare today?

Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Fat Cat City

Viriginia Plain
31 Flinders Lane
Melbourne VIC 3000
www.virginiaplain.com.au



Why yellow there! How are you?
I'm fine, thanks for asking.

In fact, I'm somewhat better than fine. I'm grinning, greased and gassed... in the words of the illustrious George Throughgood. I've just returned from lunch with my Uncle Garry (God bless!), who forwent his usual lunch with colleagues at the Athenaeum Club, going out with me instead for a catch up that incorporated a general browse and glass of the good stuff.


My Uncle Garry's a commodities trader on Collins Street, working at a nice share trading business called Shawstock (if you ever have some cash to splash, ask me for his deets - a sound fellow). He regularly grazes the hill in the central business district, raising money for multi-million dollar ventures, and today we went out for the lunch special at Virginia Plain on Flinders Lane.  No fund raising today, just seeing a favoured nephew to get the goss.

Next door to Cumulus Inc, Virginia Plain has been open for about a month, and the place is absolutely massive (with an interior decorating feel circa 1983). I'm not sure how many people they're expecting to turn up, but the overheads must be substantial: no doubt, like a two storey brothel, its time is limited.

That said, I had a VERY nice lunch and Garry ran into an old colleague who was also in the resources game, so you can see that it is a place habituated by only the very best clientele with a nose for a bargain.

The venture is named after a Roxy Music song of the same name; don't ask me why (see it here).  Something about "making me a deal", or "taking me on a rolller coaster ride", both of which could be true in the finance district of Melbourne's CBD.  Either way, the song was released in 1972, which – since it was the same year in which I was born – I'm sure you'll agree was a great vintage.

Opening volley, a rabbit terrine while Garry had the prawn cocktail (with a twist - done Asian style with whole fried prawns where you eat the lot - I could never come at that, though I know the shells are good for the cholesterol, I always think of them puncturing my bowel).

Next stop the fish of the day, red snapper, on mash with asparagus, with a glass of white wine for $35. Garry had the steak and chips.

Sound as a pound.

So, when in town, do as the Collins St Cockies do. Try Virigina Plain. I give it six tentacles out of eight.

0 comments: